Oats are cheap, fast and sooooo good for you.
I always suggest jumbo oats as I like the consistency they give, but they also help to provide a sense of fullness for longer , reducing over eating. Oats contain more ‘energy providing carbohydrates and good fat than most grains and are loaded with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
Help reduce cholesterol
The beta glucan in oats are reportedly helpful in reducing cholesterol which causes inflammation in arteries, damages tissues and can raise the risk of heart attacks and strokes., so not only do they taste great they are doing good stuff to your body.
- 35g Jumbo Oats (measure this once and then find a container that fits it and never measure again just use the container to check quantities)
- Egg cup of Almonds OR Nuts of Choice
- Cup of Ripe Berries Fresh or Frozen
- 1 TSP Chia Seeds
- Coconut Milk or Dairy Free Alternative Grind of Rock Salt
- Pinch of Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla paste if fancy it
- 1/2 Apple Grated or 1/2 Banana Mashed Dollop of Yogurt to Serve
There are two ways to do this ……..
This is great for those of you that never have time to make breakfast, or want to tea it to work to eat at your desk.
- Chuck all the ingredients except the banana or apple, in a bowl and cover with milk and put in the fridge overnight or at least 2 hours, it will keep for couple days
- Add the apple or banana when you want to eat it and loosen with more milk or yogurt if you fancy it, its all about how you like it.
- To make this less creamy use half water half milk
This is great for those of you or like your oats hot, and have a few more minutes to spare. If you do want to speed this process up just follow the steps above, and then heat through.
- Chuck all the ingredients, and banana if using, in a pan and cover with milk, bring to the boil and then simmer and stir adding milk
- Add apple, if using, just before you serve it, loosen with more milk or yogurt if you fancy it, its all about how you like it.
I an not a nutritionist , just a Mum, Pilates & Wellness coach, trying to find healthier alternative for my family and clients. Please enjoy my recipes but know that I am unable to accept any liability for your health, or your safety while cooking. My recipes are intended to nudge people in the right direction, and encourage less packet buying and more real food eating.
If you enjoy them can find more blogs & recipes on my website www.sammiemcfarland.co.uk